Search

Tags

Archives

« | Main | »

Oh No! Microsoft announces Silverlight for iPhone

By Rich Tretola | April 1, 2009
24,229 views

Those of you who follow my blog know how much I was pushing to see the Adobe Flash Player on the iPhone. Well, that wish seems to have taken a bad turn as Apple and Microsoft have announced a partnership to get the Silverlight runtime on the iPhone.

I am not sure what this means for Adobe. I suppose it is still likely that both the Flash Player and Silverlight can coexist on iPhone.

To read the official press release please visit http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/iphone

Topics: Adobe AIR, Announcements, Flash Player, Flex, SilverLight | 24 Comments »

24 Responses to “Oh No! Microsoft announces Silverlight for iPhone”

1. s Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 5:47 am

First time this day, i believed such a news :)

2. Usman Bashir Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 5:47 am

Nice One!

3. Tek Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 5:50 am

This one really make me laugh ! :)

4. Martijn Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 6:37 am

I think this is a very odd step for Apple and my guess that there is much money involved here. Because apple wanted to keep the web apps based on web standards, and silverlight is no standard.

Anon mouse Reply:

I would say that Silverlight adheres to standards more than does Flash and supports other languages (python,ruby,javascript,etc). It’s far superior development platform and it’s much faster.

See http://www.bubblemark.com/

Will Reply:

Absolutely correct. Only now in October do we hear of Adobe finally trying to release a product for iPhone. Monkey see, monkey do.

5. Shane Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 6:42 am

Second time today I’ve been had! nice one though ;-D looks like I’m not the only one!

6. Martijn Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 6:43 am

Jeez you really fooled (you’re the first today) :d

7. Oh No! Microsoft announces Silverlight for iPhone | EverythingFlex … Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 7:18 am

[...] Oh No! Microsoft announces Silverlight for iPhone | EverythingFlex … [...]

8. abhishek Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 8:02 am

is it possible to use iphone controls in flex or air ?

Dave Reply:

It depends on what you are trying to do. Control an iPhone fro an AIR application on a computer? You might be able to do that with Merapi in some manner. Not sure what you’d be trying to do.

For AIR/Flex on iPhone? Not sure that’s going to happen any time soon.

But, if you can create a connection between Java on the local pc and an iPhone application, you could use Merapi to bridge the gap between the AIR application and the Java Code.

9. daniel lopes Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 10:11 am

April first :D

10. z Says:
    April 1st, 2009 at 11:03 am

Wow, I’m gullible.

11. Benoit Says:
    April 6th, 2009 at 6:10 am

So am I, z… So am I…

I read somewhere (maybe in InsideRIA.com) that flash player 10 should be up and running on most phones by the end of 2009, which makes me believe it’ll also be available on iPhone/iPodTouch. Cross your fingers Flexmates!

Rich Tretola Reply:

Yeah, there is no guarantee of an iPhone version as they are not part of the open screen alliance, we will see the Flash Player on Android and Palm’s webos first.

12. Benoit Says:
    April 6th, 2009 at 8:37 am

Anyways how could a Windows product work on an Apple OS :P

Adobe and Apple should find an agreement though, it would really engage more developers to work on their platform… They have both loads to earn from it.

Rich Tretola Reply:

Well, since Silverlight already works on OSX, I don’t see your point.

13. Benoit Says:
    April 6th, 2009 at 9:59 am

That was Poor Humour Application I admit.

14. Yaison Alcantara Says:
    April 6th, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Nice one. For 3 minutes I believed in that. I, as a flex fan, was very scary.

15. Online Marketing Melbourne Says:
    April 8th, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I agree the flash player would have been a better option. When will they learn?

16. WayneB Says:
    April 20th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I’ll take Silverlight/C# over Flash/AS any day of the week.

Not only are Microsoft’s tools much better than Adobe’s, but I can use the same programming language (C#) and tools to build the back-end services that my Silverlight apps talk to. I can also use C# to build a device driver or a Windows Forms app if I wish to.

17. Michael Says:
    October 5th, 2009 at 5:32 am

.NET for silverlight would be the best for the iphone.

Stouges!!

Use WCF and Silverlight with the iPhone? That would be a dream come true.

Paul Reply:

Have you heard of MonoTouch? C# development for the iPhone. While it isn’t Silverlight, it is the WCF, LINQ, etc.

18. Andrew Smith Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 8:33 am

The funny thing is that Silverlight has been demonstrated on the iPhone and is more than likely to make it to the iPhone…

Comments