Search

Tags

Archives

« | Main | »

Using Flash Player 10 within Flex Builder

By Rich Tretola | May 20, 2008
82,720 views

Here is a step by step tutorial for setting up Flex Buillder 3 to compile for the new Flash Player 10 beta. This setup will also get you code insight for the new Flash Player 10 APIs.

Step 1: Visit http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Download+Flex+3 and download any build greater than 3.0.1.1728 dated Thu May 15, 2008. This example uses 3.0.1.1739.

step1

Step 2: Unzip the download and add it to the sdks folder of your Flex Builder install. In my case this is within Adobe Flex Builder 3 Plug-in/sdks. It could be within Adobe Flex Builder 3/sdks if you are using the standalone version of Flex Builder.

step2

Step 3: Now open the Flex Builder preferences and expand the menu to flex -> Installed Flex SDKs. Click the add button.

step3

Step 4: Navigate to the new SDK that you just installed in step 2, give it a unique name and click OK.

step4

Step 5: You can now set this new SDK as your default SDK and click OK

step5

Step 6: Create a new Flex Project

step6

Step 7: Create the project as type Web Application

step7

Step 8: Right click on the new project and select Properties. Navigate to Flex Compiler. Make sure either you have the new 3.0.1.1739 as the default SDK or if you didn’t set it as the default in Step 5, make sure that you choose Use a specific SDK and set it to 3.0.1.1739. Also, change the flash player version required to 10.0.0.

step8

Step 9: Switch to Flex Build Path, expand the 3.0.1.1739 library and remove the playerglobal.sdk

step9

Step 10: Click on Add SWC

step10

Step 11: Navigate to the new SDK installed in Step 2 to frameworks/libs/player/10/playerglobal.swc and click OK

step11

Step 12: Expand the new playerglobal.swc and double click on Link Type. Change it to External.

step12

step13

Step 13: To avoid being forced to download a new player on each run, open the index.template.html of your project and change the current variables to an older player as shown in the next 2 images.

step14

step15

Finally, open your new project root file and try creating a new object with one of the new Flash Player 10 classes and see that you have code insight.

final

Topics: Flash Player, Flex, Flex 3 (Moxie), Flex Tools | 49 Comments »

49 Responses to “Using Flash Player 10 within Flex Builder”

1. joshspoon Says:
    May 20th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Weird I don’t get code hinting on graphics or bitmapData.

2. A. Says:
    May 20th, 2008 at 6:58 pm

HI,
    so what’s the procedure if i still have working projects under fp9??
    do i need to install/uninstall the debug version each time i want to play with fp10??
    is there a way to install the fp10 browser plugin on for safari and debug with fp9 or standalone fp9 on firefox, btw, i’m using mac 10.4.
    thanks!

3. everythingflex Says:
    May 21st, 2008 at 12:48 pm

So, I get code hinting on one machine that I did this on but not another. I am not sure what the issue is.

4. Lauro Santos Says:
    May 21st, 2008 at 3:11 pm

hello

Good tutorial!!! Can I translate that tutorial for Portuguese and to post in my blog?

5. everythingflex Says:
    May 21st, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Go for it.

6. everythingflex Says:
    May 21st, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Is anyone else having a problem with this tutorial? Is it working for you?

fadel Reply:

I in The finally step i don’t where i have to go .. i don’t have many experience in adobe flex , I need to create Xml editor by using Text layout who has experience please come back me I need that urgent

7. felix Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 9:15 pm

hmm doesn’t work here on vista. No code hints and FP10 properties give compile errors.

8. jaycrilly Says:
    June 12th, 2008 at 5:38 am

Working on Vista minus the code hinting. anyone know the culprit?

9. Maikel Sibbald Says:
    June 12th, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Dont change the version in the html. Just the use the path to the swf. because of the lower version fp10 features will result in errors.

10. Mohammad Pourhossein Says:
    June 18th, 2008 at 3:13 am

Dear Rich
    hi
    I’m Mohammad Pourhossein (my nickname is borna) from IRAN! thanks for your great articles…
    our language texts is RTL like Arabic and Hebrew… I downloaded Flash Player 10 and then last Flex SDK:
    (3.0.1.2079)
    and did all things that you said here
    but I can’t use it for RTL layout in my new projects!
    can you help me in this way? how can I make it possible to use a bi-directional text in my projects in Adobe Flex Builder 3.0?
    you know? there is no other person here, in my country to use this technology or help me… and there is no sufficient source or sample accessible to use them… so, I can only ask you to help me far from here… thanks again and again and agian…
    I’m waiting for your reply
    cheers

dela Reply:

hey Mohammad,

have you tried using system fonts? _sans, _serif, and _typrewriter are the ones I’m referring to. They’re built into everyone’s computer and don’t require embedding fonts. The trick is you can’t use .alpha or similar effects on the text unless you render it to bitmap first. I did a site in Japanese a while back and that’s how I got around embedding 4MB worth of fonts. Hope that helps.

dela

Muhammad Zubair Reply:

Hi borna,
    Try to use, ARIAL UNICODE font. This will solve out your every problem. Also if you are trying to load your language text from an external file, then save that file into unicode format. {You can google on it, on how to save any text file in UNICODE format. but in windows, open the file into NOTEPAD, File -> “SAVE AS”. Here you will find a drop down for encoding. Save it as unicode.}

11. everythingflex Says:
    June 18th, 2008 at 4:49 am

Hi Mohammad,

Honestly, I am not sure if this is possible yet with Flex Builder 3. Perhaps someone from Adobe can answer this question.

12. xsvdo Says:
    July 10th, 2008 at 1:22 am

Thanks for the great tut! FYI, code completion did not work until I restarted Flex Builder.

13. Finally!!! Says:
    August 28th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Finally someone got a good tutorial on the matter. Very cool! Congratulations. You rock.

14. karen Says:
    October 15th, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for the detailed instructions. The were very helpful. Now, onto some development!

15. noj Says:
    November 11th, 2008 at 10:33 pm

y does the dynamic sound API only call my Event.SAMPLE_DATA only once?

i was so let down because this doesn’t work. The new dynamic sound API seems to have a lot of fun :(

Francois-Xavier Beckers Reply:

same here this is driving me crazy

16. otogaz Says:
    November 15th, 2008 at 1:00 pm

thanks.

17. Fedele Says:
    November 20th, 2008 at 9:38 am

Thank’s a lot!!

18. Dan Says:
    November 20th, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Hey, I have flexbuilder 3.0 Professional and now my project doesn’t see :

Any thoughts on how to get it back?

19. dave Says:
    December 18th, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Anyone encounter the following complie error?
    exception ‘org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The element type “compiler” must be terminated by the matching end-tag “”.’ while setting variable ”

Running on Vista64, in case that matters.

I’m a noob, and by saying that I don’t expect any lengthy detailed help, I’d just probably benefit more from a helpful link or something since I doubt I’d grok much from a one line reply written in “expert mode”. :) Thanks in advance.

20. Mariush T. - Flex Developer » Blog Archive » Missing BitmapData class in code completion - Flex(FP10) Says:
    April 15th, 2009 at 12:25 am

[...] setup my Flex Builder for Flex 3.3 SDK and Flash Player 10 as described in this article. I noticed that BitmapData class doesn’t show anymore. Is this a [...]

21. bioRex21 Says:
    April 19th, 2009 at 1:29 am

Wow, thanks! it worked perfectly! (with Windows Vista)

22. Nico Says:
    April 20th, 2009 at 9:15 am

It’s important to change the required Flash Player version for the HTML Wrapper to 10.0.0 (at least). This option also changes the behavior of the compiler.

23. Wang Yuehui Says:
    May 3rd, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I followed the steps, it work when I run application.mxml with ‘run as …’ command. But it doesn’t work fine with ‘debug as…’ command.
    when I run ‘debug as…’, with no any hints, my FB3 does not show me the debug function with debug perspective at my break point. it works as ‘run as …’ command to debug any of my applications smoothly.
    I tried to use IE7 debugging with flashplayer_10_ax_debug.exe installed, or flashplayer_9_ax_debug.exe installed.
    And also, I tried to use firefox2/firefox3 debugging with flashplayer_10_plugin_debug.exe installed.
    any of my debug trying did not work its function, only show me a smooth operation, just like ‘run as…’ command did.
    More worrying, I can’t go back to my former debugging function, which works fine without trying flash play10 turn over.
    The problems annoyed me days, please anyone help me.
    working environment: windowsXP, FlexBuilder3, IE, firefox

24. Wang Yuehui Says:
    May 3rd, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I followed the steps, it worked when I run application.mxml with ‘run as …’ command. But it didn’t work fine with ‘debug as…’ command.
    The problems annoyed me days, please anyone help me.
    working environment: windowsXP, FlexBuilder3, IE, firefox

25. Targetting Flash Player 10 on Flex development « :maohao: Says:
    May 4th, 2009 at 6:28 pm

[...] 2. “Source attachement” option for the playerglobal.swc should be “None” (yeah it caught me a couple of times before I figured it out) and the “Link type” should be “External“. Here. [...]

26. newbie Says:
    June 3rd, 2009 at 2:17 pm

it works without problems.

27. newbie Says:
    June 3rd, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Thanks a lot.

28. Chris Says:
    July 28th, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Tut works great. I get all the code hinting and everything. The only problem is this, “Cannot create property z on flash.display.Sprite”

in the HTML I have:

swfobject.embedSWF(‘SCZutto.swf’, ‘website’, ’850′, ’560′, ’10.0.0′

I don’t use the HTML wrapper as I prefer my own but does the Flex Builder require it to work? IDK

Rich Tretola Reply:

No, you can use your own wrapper.

29. Techwave » Blog Archive » Getting started with Adobe Stratus Says:
    July 30th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

[...] above. In case you have an older version of Flex Builder 3, you can refer to a detailed article at http://blog.everythingflex.com/2008/05/20/using-flash-player-10-within-flex-builder that will guide you through the [...]

30. nike shox Says:
    November 2nd, 2009 at 1:23 am

Thanks for your nice post!!!

31. air jordan shoes Says:
    December 3rd, 2009 at 8:45 pm

thank you for sharing the post.

32. nikeselling Says:
    December 30th, 2009 at 11:26 pm

cheap jordans

33. ugg boots uk Says:
    January 14th, 2010 at 1:35 am

thank you for sharing the post.

34. Chi flat iron Says:
    January 21st, 2010 at 8:54 pm

good ,thanks

35. CHLOE30 Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I know that you must know about this topic or essay writing. At the paper writing services that is really easy to order term paper and custom essays reffering to this post.

36. chi flat irons Says:
    March 19th, 2010 at 9:13 pm

The author’s writing is sharp XN.Your idea is novel,I like it,Thank you for sharing.

37. qingimiss Says:
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:21 pm

prom dresses

[url=http://www.yourdresses.com/]prom dresses[/url]

38. air jordan shoes Says:
    April 6th, 2010 at 8:22 am

look good

39. cheap gucci shoes Says:
    April 9th, 2010 at 9:24 am

Thanks for sharing it with us, I will check your blog when I am free

40. scott Says:
    December 3rd, 2010 at 5:55 pm

The code completion (and package import using Ctrl-Space) only do not seem to be working for the flash.* packages. All the other packages seem to work. Any idea why just these packages wouldn’t work?

41. Daniel Says:
    December 31st, 2010 at 8:16 am

Nice post! Here there is the matching between FP, AIR and Flex SDK versions -> http://thepolarway.com/diary/adobe-air/pasando-de-adobe-air-1-5-a-2-5 hope it helps…

42. 使用Flex Buillder 3编译Flash Player 10 | Wersling's Blog Says:
    July 22nd, 2011 at 5:33 am

[...] Rich Tretola :Using Flash Player 10 within Flex Builder [...]

43. Avneesh Pandey Says:
    July 29th, 2011 at 6:49 am

Nice

44. obagi Says:
    October 22nd, 2011 at 3:19 am

I really appreciate posts, which might be of very useful for beginners in blogging as I am.

Comments